Details of the GreenPan
Here is a pan with a very nice weight: not too heavy not too light. It has thick anodized aluminum walls and a beautiful shiny Thermolon ceramic finish. Its ergonomic handle makes it easy to pick up and move around.
Because of aluminum’s great conductivity and its thick wall construction, this pan heats up very fast. I have an electric stove and I turn the heat up to high, place the pan on the burner, and after one minute (that is 60 seconds) I turn it down to 8.
I am always carefull of adding some oil as soon as it starts to get warm but maybe I am just being extra careful. Other reviewers heat the pan dry and then add ingredients with the intention of searing them at high heat.
So far I have made tuna steaks, stir fried broccoli, fried eggs, an omelet and pork chops finished with a pan sauce. The one thing I have noticed about this green pan is a quality that most nonstick pans have: it makes great fond. (watch my video as I wash away the brown “goodies” )
These are the brown bits that help make a great pan sauce. Deglaze it with stock or wine to add flavor to your dish. The best part about it is that in the end, nothing will stick to it
Cleaning it is a breeze. One word of caution: the manufacturer recommends hand washing and so do I. It is such a quick and easy way of taking care of your investment, I wouldn’t have it any other way. It also comes with a plastic insert which I kept in order to protect the nonstick surface from scratching.
- A natural, Thermolon™ non-stick mineral-based coating.
- No potentially dangerous chemical’s inside: It’s completely PTFE-free and contains no silicone oil.
- Manufactured without PFOA and applied in an environmentally friendly way, resulting in 60% less 2 emissions (hence the name “green”).
- Heat resistant up to high temperatures. If you accidentally overheat your pan, even up to 450°C/850°F, no toxic fumes will be released and the coating will not blister or peel.
What we liked:
- Thick aluminum walls
- No PTFE coatings, no PFOA used in manufacturing
- Heats up fast
- Ergonomic handle makes it easy to hold and move
- Food slides effortlessly
- Sears and browns food better than other nonstick
- Heat resistant so it allows you to finish dishes in the oven
What we didn’t like:
- Not dishwasher safe
- Not compatible with induction cooking
As far as caring for it, follow these recommendations:
- Always hand wash
- Use a bit of oil or butter when heating the pan
- Do not use oil sprays as they tend to creat a film on the sides
- Stay away from corn oil as it has a tendency to create a “gummy” residue
- Do not use exesive heat. It has such great conductivity, that you don’t have to
- Use the plastic insert if you nest your frying pan with others. This will prevent scratching
In essence the pan does what it is supposed to do. It cooks quickly, the food does not stick and it cleans easily, all without the potential of harmful chemical residues in the food.